There are many reasons patients experience receding gums. Some of the most common causes experienced by patients of Dr. David J. Trylovich, Dr. Ryan S. Gifford, Dr. Brian P. Mantor, and Dr. Gary D. Goaslind in Las Vegas include:
- Poor dental health and hygiene
- Patients who have not taken good care of their teeth and gums are at risk of gum recession and periodontal disease.
- Untreated periodontal disease
- When periodontal disease (also called gum disease) is not diagnosed and treated, it can create an environment where the gums begin to pull back from the teeth as if they are shrinking.
- Aggressive tooth brushing
- The wrong brushing methods can actually be harmful to the gum tissues. Many people who complain of gum recession are making it worse because they are brushing too aggressively.
- Family history of gum recession
- If your parents and siblings have had gum recession, you are more likely to have it, too.
- Oral piercings
- Jewelry of the tongue or lips can rub against gum tissues, causing irritation and eventual gum recession.
- Tobacco product use
- Smoking and using chewing tobacco take a toll on the gums as well as the rest of the mouth, esophagus, and lungs. Often times, receding gums can be traced back to heavy tobacco usage.
Of course, it is always important to talk with a periodontist if your gums are not healthy. Dr. Trylovich, Dr. Gifford, Dr. Mantor, and Dr. Goaslind can explain what causes gum recession in Las Vegas, and are ready to give you a thorough understanding of your treatment options based on your personal dental history. These may include recommendations for procedures like the advanced Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™), a revolutionary method of tackling the problem of gum recession. Please call our office now and set up your appointment.